oh it’s soooo good.
23/11/2011 § Leave a comment
In between packing and checking on my fragile Buki bear, I made……
an Italian cake, originated from Sicily. I bought some whilst I was in San Gimignano, Tuscany last Summer. It was delicious! As soon as I got back from holiday, I attempted at making one – It was such a disappointment – so I am hoping this different recipe will taste as good as the first bite I ever took so long ago.Delicious to have all to yourself or cut up and make as Christmas or anyday gifts.Ingredients
- 100g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 120g blanched almonds, roughly chopped
- 120g pistachios, roughly chopped
- 75g dried figs, roughly chopped
- 120g dried dates, roughly chopped
- 70g plain flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Large pinch ground cloves
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- Pinch of salt
- 150g light soft brown sugar
- 100g honey
- 30g butter
- Icing sugar, to dredge
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/gas mark 2. Grease a 20cm square tin and line the bottom with non-stick baking parchment.
- Heat a frying pan until hot then toast the nuts, tossing regularly until golden. Tip into a large bowl with the fruit, flour, spices and salt and mix well.
- Melt the sugar, honey and butter in a saucepan and boil gently until the mixt ure reaches 120°C (see tip). This should take about 3-5 minutes.
- Pour the sugar mixture onto the dry ingredients and working quickly, mix well. Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin and press down evenly.
- Bake for 35 minutes then allow to cool in the tin. Turn the cake out and dredge generously with icing sugar. Cut into small squares and wrap as one gift, or divide into several smaller gifts and pack into small gift bags or boxes.